In recent years, the world of aerial photography and videography has undergone a significant transformation, thanks to the advancements in drone technology. DJI, a renowned name in the industry, has been at the forefront of this revolution, continually pushing the boundaries of what drones can achieve. One such remarkable creation from DJI is the DJI Spark. This compact and versatile drone has captured the imagination of enthusiasts and professionals alike. In this blog post, we will delve into the features, capabilities, and the creative potential of the DJI Spark.
The DJI Spark is a compact drone that packs a powerful punch. It boasts a sleek design, weighing just 300 grams, making it incredibly portable and easy to carry. Despite its small size, the Spark delivers impressive performance, enabling users to capture stunning aerial footage and photos.
For more about DJI Drones Visit: Wikipedia.
|Takeoff Weight||300 g|
|Diagonal Distance (propellers excluded)||170 mm|
|Max Ascent Speed||9.8 ft/s (3 m/s) in Sport Mode without wind|
|Max Descent Speed||9.8 ft/s (3 m/s) in Auto Landing Mode|
|Max Speed||31 mph (50 kph) in Sport Mode without wind|
|Max Service Ceiling Above Sea Level||13,123 feet (4,000 m)|
|Max Flight Time||16 minutes (no wind at a consistent 12.4 mph (20 kph))|
|Max Hovering Time||15 minutes (no wind)|
|Operating Temperature Range||32° to 104° F (0° to 40° C)|
|Satellite Positioning Systems||GPS/GLONASS|
|Hover Accuracy Range||• Vertical:
+/- 0.1 m (when Vision Positioning is active) or +/-0.5 m
+/- 0.3 m (when Vision Positioning is active) or +/-1.5 m
|Transmitter Power (EIRP)||• 2.4 GHz
FCC: 25 dBm; CE: 18 dBm; SRRC: 18 dBm; MIC:18 dBm
• 5.8 GHz
FCC: 27 dBm; CE: 14 dBm; SRRC: 27 dBm; MIC: –
|Operating Frequency||2.400 – 2.483 GHz; 5.725 – 5.825 GHz|
• Camera & Gimbal
Effective pixels: 12 MP
|Lens||FOV 81.9° 25 mm (35 mm format equivalent) f/2.6
(shooting range: 2 m to ∞)
|ISO Range||• Video: 100-3200
• Photo: 100-1600
|Electronic Shutter Speed||2-1/8000 s|
|Image Size||• 3968×2976
• 1440×1080 with ShallowFocus
• 2300×1280 with Pano (horizontal)
• 960×1280 with Pano (vertical)
|Still Photography Modes||• Single Shot
• Burst Shooting: 3 frames
• Auto Exposure Bracketing (AEB): 3 bracketed frames at 0.7 EV bias
• Interval: 2/3/5/7/10/15/20/30/60 s
|Video Resolution||FHD: 1920×1080 30p|
|Max Video Bitrate||24 Mbps|
|Supported File Systems||FAT32|
|Video Format||MP4 (MPEG-4 AVC/H.264)|
|Controllable Range||Pitch: -85° to 0°|
|Stabilization||2-axis mechanical (pitch, roll)|
• Battery & Charger
|Max Charging Voltage||13.05 V|
|Battery Type||LiPo 3S|
|Net Weight||Approx. 0.2 lbs (95 g)|
|Charging Temperature Range||41° to 104° F (5° to 40° C)|
|Charger Input||100-240 V; 50/60 Hz; 0.5 A|
|Charger Output||5 V/3 A; 9 V/2 A; 12 V/1.5 A|
• Radio Transmitter
|Operating Frequency||2.412-2.462 GHz; 5.745-5.825 GHz|
|Max Transmission Distance||• 2.412 – 2.462 GHz (unobstructed, free of interference)
• FCC: 1.2 mi (2 km); CE: 0.3 mi (500 m)
• SRRC: 0.3 mi (500 m); MIC: 0.3 mi (500 m)
• 5.745 – 5.825 GHz (unobstructed, free of interference)
• FCC: 1.2 mi (2 km); CE: 0.18 mi (300 m)
• SRRC: 0.7 mi (1.2 km); MIC: –
|Operating Temperature Range||32° to 104° F (0° to 40° C)|
|Transmitter Power (EIRP)||• 2.4 GHz
FCC: ≤26 dBm; CE: ≤18 dBm; SRCC: ≤18 dBm; MIC: ≤18 dBm
• 5.8 GHz
FCC: ≤28 dBm; CE: ≤14 dBm; SRCC: ≤26 dBm; MIC: –
|Operating Current/Voltage||950 mAh @3.7 V|
|Supported Mobile Device Size||Thickness range: 6.5-8.5 mm
Max length: 160 mm
• WiFi Controll
|Operating Frequency||2.4 GHz/5.8 GHz|
|Max Transmission Distance||100 m(Distance), 50 m(Height) (Unobstructed, free of interference)|
• Obstacle Sensors
|Velocity Range||≤22.4 mph (36 kph) at 6.6 ft (2 m) above ground|
|Altitude Range||0-26 ft (0 – 8 m)|
|Operating Range||0-98 ft (0 – 30 m)|
|Operating Environment||Detects clearly patterned surfaces with adequate lighting (lux>15) and diffuse reflectivity (>20%)|
|3D-Obstacle Sensing Range||1-16 ft (0.2 – 5 m)|
|3D-Operating Environment||Detects diffuse reflective surfaces (>20%) larger than 20×20 cm (walls, trees, people, etc.)|
|Price||$999 (DJI Store)|
|Price in Pakistan||Rs. 400,000 (Golden Camera)|
How to Set Up and Fly DJI Spark ?
Setting up and flying the DJI Spark is a straightforward process. Here’s a step-by-step guide to help you get started:
- Unboxing and Preparation:
- Open the DJI Spark package and ensure you have all the necessary components, including the drone, remote controller (if applicable), propellers, battery, charger, and cables.
- Carefully read the user manual and familiarize yourself with the drone’s features and safety guidelines.
- Charge the battery using the provided charger until it reaches full capacity.
- Install the propellers by twisting them onto the motor shafts in a clockwise direction.
- Powering On the DJI Spark:
- Press the power button on the battery once, then press and hold it for two seconds until the battery level indicators light up.
- Press the power button on the drone once, then press and hold it for three seconds until the front LEDs start to blink rapidly. This indicates that the drone is ready to connect.
- Connecting the DJI Spark:
- Download and install the DJI GO 4 app on your smartphone or tablet from the App Store or Google Play Store.
- Enable Bluetooth and Wi-Fi on your mobile device and connect to the Spark’s Wi-Fi network, which should appear as “Spark-XXXXX” (XXXXX represents the last five digits of the drone’s serial number).
- Launch the DJI GO 4 app and follow the on-screen prompts to register and log into your DJI account.
- Once logged in, select the Spark from the app’s device list to establish a connection.
- Flight Preparation:
- Ensure the DJI Spark is placed on a flat and stable surface.
- Open the remote controller (if applicable) and extend the antennas.
- Connect your mobile device to the remote controller using the appropriate cable or wireless connection.
- Power on the remote controller by pressing and holding the power button until the LEDs illuminate.
- The remote controller should automatically link with the Spark. If not, follow the instructions in the DJI GO 4 app to link them manually.
- Flight Modes and Controls:
- Familiarize yourself with the various flight modes and controls available in the DJI GO 4 app, such as QuickShot, ActiveTrack, and TapFly.
- Learn how to use the remote controller’s joysticks to control the drone’s movement, including ascending, descending, rotating, and tilting.
- Practice basic flight maneuvers in an open and safe area before attempting more complex flights or using intelligent flight modes.
- Safe Flying Practices:
- Always adhere to local regulations and laws regarding drone flights.
- Avoid flying in restricted or no-fly zones, such as airports, military bases, or densely populated areas.
- Keep the drone within your line of sight during flights.
- Pay attention to weather conditions, especially wind speed and precipitation, and avoid flying in adverse weather conditions.
- Perform pre-flight checks, including checking the battery level, propeller tightness, and ensuring there are no obstructions or damage to the drone.
Key Features of the DJI Spark
a) Intelligent Flight Modes: The Spark comes equipped with a range of intelligent flight modes that make capturing breathtaking shots a breeze. These modes include QuickShot, ActiveTrack, and TapFly, allowing users to effortlessly capture cinematic footage and photos.
b) High-Quality Camera: The Spark features a 12-megapixel camera that is capable of capturing stunning stills and recording smooth 1080p videos. With its 2-axis mechanical gimbal, the camera ensures stable footage, even in challenging flight conditions.
c) Gesture Control: One of the standout features of the Spark is its gesture control capability. By simply waving your hand or making predefined gestures, you can command the drone to take off, land, or capture a selfie. This intuitive feature adds a fun and interactive element to the flying experience.
d) Intelligent Flight Battery: The Spark is equipped with a high-energy-density LiPo battery, which provides a flight time of up to 16 minutes on a single charge. Additionally, DJI’s advanced battery management system ensures the safety and longevity of the battery.
e) Safety Features: DJI prioritizes safety, and the Spark is no exception. It incorporates several safety features, including obstacle detection and avoidance, Return-to-Home function, and geofencing. These features provide peace of mind to pilots and help prevent accidents during flights.
f) Aerial Photography: The DJI Spark unlocks endless possibilities for capturing stunning aerial photographs. Whether you are a professional photographer or an enthusiast, the Spark’s high-quality camera, combined with its stability and intelligent flight modes, allows you to capture breathtaking shots from unique perspectives.
g) Cinematic Videography: With the Spark’s QuickShot mode, you can easily create professional-looking cinematic videos. Whether it’s the Rocket, Circle, or Dronie mode, the drone automatically flies in pre-defined patterns, capturing dynamic footage that would otherwise require complex piloting skills.
h) Travel Companion: The compact size and portability of the DJI Spark make it an ideal travel companion. Whether you’re exploring majestic landscapes, capturing the bustling cityscape, or documenting your adventures, the Spark can fit in your backpack and be ready to fly in no time.
i) Social Media Content: In today’s digital age, social media has become a platform for sharing experiences. The DJI Spark allows you to capture eye-catching aerial footage and photos that will undoubtedly make your social media posts stand out. It’s a fantastic tool for content creators and influencers looking to elevate their visual storytelling.
- Portability: The DJI Spark’s compact and lightweight design makes it incredibly portable, allowing users to easily carry it wherever they go. Its small size also means it can be flown in tighter spaces where larger drones cannot maneuver.
- Intelligent Flight Modes: The Spark comes equipped with intelligent flight modes that make capturing professional-quality shots a breeze. Features like QuickShot, ActiveTrack, and TapFly allow users to effortlessly create cinematic footage and photos.
- High-Quality Camera: Despite its small size, the DJI Spark boasts a 12-megapixel camera capable of capturing stunning stills and recording smooth 1080p videos. The 2-axis mechanical gimbal ensures stable footage, even in challenging flight conditions.
- Gesture Control: One of the standout features of the Spark is its gesture control capability. Users can control the drone by waving their hand or making predefined gestures, adding a fun and interactive element to the flying experience.
- Safety Features: DJI prioritizes safety, and the Spark incorporates several features to ensure a safe flying experience. Obstacle detection and avoidance, Return-to-Home function, and geofencing help prevent accidents and provide peace of mind to pilots.
- Limited Battery Life: The DJI Spark’s flight time is limited to approximately 16 minutes on a single charge. This may be a drawback for users looking for longer flight sessions or extended aerial photography/videography sessions.
- Limited Camera Resolution: While the Spark’s camera is capable of capturing high-quality footage and photos, its 12-megapixel resolution may fall short for professional photographers or those seeking extremely detailed images.
- Lack of 4K Video Recording: Unlike some other drones in DJI’s lineup, the Spark does not support 4K video recording. While it still captures smooth 1080p videos, users looking for the highest resolution may find this limitation disappointing.
- Limited Range: The Spark has a maximum control range of approximately 100 meters, which is shorter compared to some other DJI drones. This limitation may restrict the exploration of larger areas or hinder long-range photography/videography ambitions.
- Smaller Sensor Size: Due to its compact size, the DJI Spark features a smaller camera sensor compared to larger drones. While it still delivers excellent image quality, the smaller sensor may not perform as well in low-light conditions or challenging environments.
Who should buy?
The DJI Mavic Air 2S is a powerful drone that is designed for a wide range of users, including hobbyists, enthusiasts, and professionals. Here are some of the groups of people who should consider buying the
- Aerial Photographers and Videographers – If you’re a professional or amateur photographer or videographer looking to capture stunning aerial footage, the DJI Mavic Air 2S is an excellent option. With its 1-inch CMOS sensor and 5.4K video resolution, the drone can capture high-quality images and videos from the air.
- Travelers – The DJI Mavic Air 2S is a compact and lightweight drone that is easy to carry on your travels. It folds down to a compact size and weighs just over 500 grams, making it easy to pack in your backpack or suitcase.
- Outdoor Enthusiasts – If you love outdoor activities like hiking, camping, and mountain biking, the DJI Mavic Air 2S can help you capture stunning aerial footage of your adventures. With its long battery life and obstacle avoidance sensors, you can fly the drone in challenging terrain and capture amazing footage.
- Real Estate Agents – Real estate agents can use the DJI Mavic Air 2S to capture high-quality aerial footage of properties they’re selling. The drone can provide a unique perspective of the property and its surroundings, making it an excellent tool for marketing.
- Education and Research – The DJI Mavic Air 2S is an excellent tool for education and research purposes. It can be used to capture aerial footage of archaeological sites, wildlife habitats, and environmental studies.
In conclusion, the DJI Mavic Air 2S is an excellent drone for a wide range of users, including photographers, travelers, outdoor enthusiasts, real estate agents, and researchers. Its compact size, high-quality camera, and advanced features make it a versatile tool for capturing stunning aerial footage.
The DJI Spark is a compact drone that revolutionizes the way we capture and share aerial photography and videography. With its intelligent flight modes, high-quality camera, and impressive features, the Spark opens up a world of creative possibilities. Whether you’re an aspiring aerial photographer, a travel enthusiast, or a social media influencer, the DJI Spark is the perfect tool to unleash your creativity and capture stunning moments from unique perspectives. So, grab your Spark and soar into the limitless sky of creativity!
GET IN TOUCH